By Claire Atkinson
News Corp. Chairman and CEO, Rupert Murdoch, sure has a way with words. Opening the World Economic Forum in Switzerland Wednesday, the News Corp. chief gave a brief overview of the state of the markets today, predicting the downturn might be here for the long haul and that the U.S. stimulus plan was unlikely to work, at least in the short term.
“The world financial markets are in great state of disarray…Stimulus plan did not work in The Great Depression for sure…We never saw anything until there was a war ten years later. Err. I’m not suggesting we should have one.” Oddly the Wall Street Journal’s video of the boss ends there.
News Corp.’s other newspapers picked up the rest: “The crisis is getting worse. It’s going to take drastic action to turn it around, if it can be turned around quickly. Personally, I believe it will take some time,” reported the Times of London.
“We’ve been living in the Western world way above our means. We’ve been on a great binge and it’s come to an end and we have to live though the correction.”
This former Oxford graduate, who once kept a bust of Lenin in his room, went on to reassure the audience however, that capitalism works. “Don’t let’s lose sight of what creates wealth in this world: it is open markets, it is capitalism, and we have proved this again and again in the last century,” he said.
Great binge is over, says Murdoch1/29/2009 11:47:09 AM
By Claire Atkinson
- Bexel Moves to Larger Facility in Dallas Area
- Integrated Microwave Technologies (IMT) Sizzles in Brazil at 2016 Set Expo
- SMPTE 2016 Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition Takes on Timely Topics: UHD, HDR, VR, Cloud, and More
- Amagi Announces Live Linear OTT Playout Platform Built on Award-Winning CLOUDPORT
- Appear TV Introduces High Density Audio Encoder Module for XC5X00 Platform
- WGN AMERICA UNLEASHES “SALEM” CHARACTER PORTRAITS FOR SEASON THREE; REVEALS FIRST-LOOK AT SAMUEL ROUKIN AS THE SENTINEL
- Masstech and LiveU Partner to Seamlessly Integrate Acquisition, Production and Newsroom Workflows
- Classic TV Series Match Game Reboots with Lectrosonics
- RENOWNED ABOLITIONIST HARRIET TUBMAN LEADS THE WAY IN SEASON TWO OF WGN AMERICA’S TRAILBLAZING SERIES, ‘UNDERGROUND’ FROM SONY PICTURES TELEVISION; AISHA HINDS CAST IN THE REVOLUTIONARY ROLE
- Pronology and Small Tree Offer Seamless Integration