By Claire Atkinson
News Corp. Chairman and CEO, Rupert Murdoch, sure has a way with words. Opening the World Economic Forum in Switzerland Wednesday, the News Corp. chief gave a brief overview of the state of the markets today, predicting the downturn might be here for the long haul and that the U.S. stimulus plan was unlikely to work, at least in the short term.
“The world financial markets are in great state of disarray…Stimulus plan did not work in The Great Depression for sure…We never saw anything until there was a war ten years later. Err. I’m not suggesting we should have one.” Oddly the Wall Street Journal’s video of the boss ends there.
News Corp.’s other newspapers picked up the rest: “The crisis is getting worse. It’s going to take drastic action to turn it around, if it can be turned around quickly. Personally, I believe it will take some time,” reported the Times of London.
“We’ve been living in the Western world way above our means. We’ve been on a great binge and it’s come to an end and we have to live though the correction.”
This former Oxford graduate, who once kept a bust of Lenin in his room, went on to reassure the audience however, that capitalism works. “Don’t let’s lose sight of what creates wealth in this world: it is open markets, it is capitalism, and we have proved this again and again in the last century,” he said.
Great binge is over, says Murdoch1/29/2009 11:47:09 AM
By Claire Atkinson
- Slovak TV Successfully Achieves Audio Loudness Compliance Around NUGEN Audio Loudness Management and Monitoring Tools
- Joseph Electronics to Carry Full Line of VITEC Products
- AJA Boosts Support for Telestream Wirecast with Release of New v12.1 Software for KONA and Io
- AJA Releases New Unified KONA and Io Software Delivering Multi-Platform Support for Third Party Solutions
- Fox International Channels Rolls Out First-Ever Global Brand Strategy on 126 Fox Channels With Return of Global Hit Series ‘The Walking Dead’
- NBC’s Hit Drama ‘Grimm’ to Support Portland’s OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital With Grimmster Endowment
- Oscar Nominee and ‘Boyhood’ Editor Sandra Adair to Speak at 2015 NAB Show
- Basque Broadcaster ETB Installs Riedel Communications Infrastructure at Main Production Center in Donosti-San Sebastián
- SMPTE Announces 2015 Directors and New Appointments to the Board of Governors
- QC Giant My Eye Media Implements Archimedia Atlas 4K/UHD Professional Media Player to View IMF 4K Packages