By Claire Atkinson
News Corp. Chairman and CEO, Rupert Murdoch, sure has a way with words. Opening the World Economic Forum in Switzerland Wednesday, the News Corp. chief gave a brief overview of the state of the markets today, predicting the downturn might be here for the long haul and that the U.S. stimulus plan was unlikely to work, at least in the short term.
“The world financial markets are in great state of disarray…Stimulus plan did not work in The Great Depression for sure…We never saw anything until there was a war ten years later. Err. I’m not suggesting we should have one.” Oddly the Wall Street Journal’s video of the boss ends there.
News Corp.’s other newspapers picked up the rest: “The crisis is getting worse. It’s going to take drastic action to turn it around, if it can be turned around quickly. Personally, I believe it will take some time,” reported the Times of London.
“We’ve been living in the Western world way above our means. We’ve been on a great binge and it’s come to an end and we have to live though the correction.”
This former Oxford graduate, who once kept a bust of Lenin in his room, went on to reassure the audience however, that capitalism works. “Don’t let’s lose sight of what creates wealth in this world: it is open markets, it is capitalism, and we have proved this again and again in the last century,” he said.
Great binge is over, says Murdoch1/29/2009 11:47:09 AM
By Claire Atkinson
- Artel Video Systems Appoints New CFO
- West End Sound Designer Rick Clarke Selects Point Source Audio to Take on “Chicago”
- Lectrosonics Introduces the IFB-VHF Wireless System Including the IFBT4-VHF Transmitter and IFBR1a-VHF Receiver
- Minnetonka Audio adds Experienced Broadcast Audio Pro Alessandro Travaglini to R&D Team
- Sweden's TV4 Simplifies Live HD Streaming With AVIWEST DMNG System
- Riedel Solutions Ensure Flexible Routing and Communications Across Anthem of the Seas
- TELEMUNDO STATIONS IN LOS ANGELES, MIAMI, HOUSTON, PHILADELPHIA AND BOSTON MARKETS HAVE THE MOST-WATCHED LATE LOCAL NEWSCASTS DURING NOVEMBER 2015
- DPA Microphones is a Female Folk Favorite
- TELEMUNDO BECOMES FIRST SPANISH LANGUAGE TV NETWORK TO SURPASS 1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS ON YOUTUBE
- mxfSPEEDRAIL helping CBS to deliver “life strategies”