By Claire Atkinson
News Corp. Chairman and CEO, Rupert Murdoch, sure has a way with words. Opening the World Economic Forum in Switzerland Wednesday, the News Corp. chief gave a brief overview of the state of the markets today, predicting the downturn might be here for the long haul and that the U.S. stimulus plan was unlikely to work, at least in the short term.
“The world financial markets are in great state of disarray…Stimulus plan did not work in The Great Depression for sure…We never saw anything until there was a war ten years later. Err. I’m not suggesting we should have one.” Oddly the Wall Street Journal’s video of the boss ends there.
News Corp.’s other newspapers picked up the rest: “The crisis is getting worse. It’s going to take drastic action to turn it around, if it can be turned around quickly. Personally, I believe it will take some time,” reported the Times of London.
“We’ve been living in the Western world way above our means. We’ve been on a great binge and it’s come to an end and we have to live though the correction.”
This former Oxford graduate, who once kept a bust of Lenin in his room, went on to reassure the audience however, that capitalism works. “Don’t let’s lose sight of what creates wealth in this world: it is open markets, it is capitalism, and we have proved this again and again in the last century,” he said.
Great binge is over, says Murdoch1/29/2009 11:47:09 AM
By Claire Atkinson
- TELEMUNDO STUDIOS PROMOTES PERLA FARIAS TO SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, SCRIPTED DEVELOPMENT AND CARMEN URBANEJA TO SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, SCRIPTED PRODUCTIONS
- Quantum's StorNext-Powered Xcellis Workflow Storage Wins Top Honors at 2016 NAB Show
- MOLLY RINGWALD, MEREDITH VIEIRA, AMY SEDARIS, JOHN HODGMAN, AND “HAMILTON” CAST MEMBERS GUEST STAR IN SEASON TWO OF BRAVO MEDIA’S “ODD MOM OUT”
- Watchwith Announces Native Digital Video Advertising and Audience Engagement Product for Bloomberg Media
- Video Devices PIX-E5H Earns High Praise on Lynda.com
- IHSE USA and Lawo Unite Their KVM and Control Systems to Benefit Broadcast and Production Operations
- ITV Connects Studio and Master Control With SMPTE Cable Substitute From Bluebell Opticom
- Liquid Telecom Selects HEVC Headend Solution From Harmonic for Linear DTH Service in Africa
- Interra Systems KOBA 2016 Exhibitor Preview
- This Old House® Wins Daytime Emmy® Award