By Claire Atkinson
News Corp. Chairman and CEO, Rupert Murdoch, sure has a way with words. Opening the World Economic Forum in Switzerland Wednesday, the News Corp. chief gave a brief overview of the state of the markets today, predicting the downturn might be here for the long haul and that the U.S. stimulus plan was unlikely to work, at least in the short term.
“The world financial markets are in great state of disarray…Stimulus plan did not work in The Great Depression for sure…We never saw anything until there was a war ten years later. Err. I’m not suggesting we should have one.” Oddly the Wall Street Journal’s video of the boss ends there.
News Corp.’s other newspapers picked up the rest: “The crisis is getting worse. It’s going to take drastic action to turn it around, if it can be turned around quickly. Personally, I believe it will take some time,” reported the Times of London.
“We’ve been living in the Western world way above our means. We’ve been on a great binge and it’s come to an end and we have to live though the correction.”
This former Oxford graduate, who once kept a bust of Lenin in his room, went on to reassure the audience however, that capitalism works. “Don’t let’s lose sight of what creates wealth in this world: it is open markets, it is capitalism, and we have proved this again and again in the last century,” he said.
Great binge is over, says Murdoch1/29/2009 11:47:09 AM
By Claire Atkinson
- PacTV London Makes Live Content and Disaster Recovery Top Priority at New Facility
- Thomson Video Networks Announces Visionary 'Behind Every Screen' Strategy for Streamlined Broadcast and Multi-Screen Video Delivery
- Elemental Brings Widely Deployed Software-Defined Video Solutions to IBC
- Lyon Video Installs Calrec Apollo Audio Console in Newest Mobile Production Truck
- Forbidden Integrates Timecode Buddy Into Forscene Platform Via MovieSlate iOS App
- Digigram to Feature New MADI Option on LX-IP RAVENNA PCIe(R) Sound Card at IBC2014
- SMPTE Confers 'Fellow' Status on Eight Members of Motion-Imaging Technology Industry
- Music Mix Mobile Streamlines On-Location Audio Recording Workflows With Sonnet's Echo Express III-R and xMac mini Server
- Nexidia and Telestream Announce Integration of Nexidia QC Caption Verification Tool Into Vantage Workflow Automation Environment
- ioGates Signs Long-Term Partnership Agreement With the Danish Broadcasting Corporation