Free Newsletter Subscription
        BNC All Access

U. Georgia Scraps WNEG Newsroom in Favor of Student Newscast

January 10, 2011

The University of Georgia has shut down the news operation at WNEG, and filed with the FCC to relicense the station as non-commercial. Seventeen employees were laid off, reports Athens Banner-Herald.

The station will be part of Georgia Public Broadcasting System, rechristened as WUGA.

Says the Banner-Herald:

“It was an unhappy day,” said Cully Clark, dean of UGA’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication, which had operated the station. “These were some very fine people.”

WNEG’s professional news broadcast, which had aired five nights a week, will be replaced by a student-produced newscast called NewsSource, which will air Mondays through Thursdays when school is in session, starting about Jan. 24.

The UGA Research Foundation bought WNEG in 2008 for $1.4 million, and has lost considerable money on it since then, reports the newspaper.

The Banner-Herald used its editorial space to applaud the revamp. 

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution covered the story too.

Posted by Michael Malone on January 10, 2011 | Comments (1)

12/12/2012 6:18:25 PM EST
In response to: U. Georgia Scraps WNEG Newsroom in Favor of Student Newscast
Pharmb937 commented:

Hello! ffeebec interesting ffeebec site! I'm really like it! Very, very ffeebec good!

POST A COMMENT
Display Name
captcha

Before submitting this form, please type the characters displayed above. Note the letters are case sensitive:

Advertisement


Advertisement


About Us   |   Advertising Info   |   Site Map   |   Contact Us   |   Affiliate Links   |   RSS
© 2013 NewBay Media, LLC. 28 East 28th Street, 12th floor, New York, NY 10016 T (212) 378-0400 F (212) 378-0470
Use of this website is subject to its Terms of Use | Privacy Policy