Free Newsletter Subscription
        BNC All Access

Former ND Hits WPIX With Age Discrimination Lawsuit

June 15, 2010

Former WPIX New York news director Karen Scott has leveled a $4.5 million age discrimination lawsuit against the station, reports the NY Daily News. Scott left the station in August. She says she–and several anchors, including Kaity Tong and Sal Marchiano–were let go due to their age.

amd_kaity_tong.jpg

Kaity Tong

The story says former president/general manager Betty Ellen Berlamino “set the ageist tone” at the Tribune station. Berlamino was let go just last week. Tribune Broadcasting President Jerry Kersting did not elaborate on the reasons at the time, simply saying “it was time to make a change.” He’s running the station now.

WPIX has struggled to get out of fifth place in the ratings race for years.

The News reports:

Karen Scott, who was fired last August from the Tribune-owned Channel 11, says she was let go because of her age, 60 - and not sagging news ratings as she was told. She maintains her firing was consistent with the way the station handled other senior staffers by either firing them, or reducing their roles.

WPIX did not comment at presstime.

Posted by Michael Malone on June 15, 2010 | Comments (0)
POST A COMMENT
Display Name
captcha

Before submitting this form, please type the characters displayed above. Note the letters are case sensitive:

Advertisement


Advertisement


About Us   |   Advertising Info   |   Site Map   |   Contact Us   |   Affiliate Links   |   RSS
© 2013 NewBay Media, LLC. 28 East 28th Street, 12th floor, New York, NY 10016 T (212) 378-0400 F (212) 378-0470
Use of this website is subject to its Terms of Use | Privacy Policy