Free Newsletter Subscription
        BNC All Access

Olbermann Out At MSNBC

'Countdown' host's last show was Friday

By Jon Lafayette -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/21/2011 9:06:09 PM

Keith Olbermann, MSNBC's best-known anchor and lightening rod broadcast his final show on the network Friday.

In an on-air farewell on Countdown, Olbermann said he had been told that this was his last show, which might indicate he'd been fired by NBC Universal, which had suspended him in November for making campaign donations to Democrats. But he also said there had been times that "all that surrounded the show . . . were too much for me."

The reason for the departure was not immediately clear. "MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract," said the network in a statement released as Olbermann went off the air. "MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors."

NBCU this week moved a step closer to being controlled by Comcast Corp., with the FCC approving the cable giant's transaction with General Electric, NBCU's current owner. The deal is expected to be finalized Jan. 28.

Given Olbermann's outspoken persona and his anti-establishment views, there has been speculation that Comcast would be less tolerant of his behavior on-air and behind the scenes with management.

One insider said that Comcast was informed of the deal made to terminate Olbermann's contract before it was announced, but that it was not involved in the decision.

Comcast spokeswoman Sena Fitzmaurice confirmed: "Comcast has not closed the transaction for NBC Universal and has no operational control at any of its properties including MSNBC.  We pledged from the day the deal was announced that we would not interfere with NBC Universal's news operations.  We have not and we will not."

An MSNBC spokesman would not comment on the situation beyond the network's statement.

Comcast said back in November it had no role in the suspension or reinstatement of Olbermann.

"Comcast is not in any way involved with decisions made currently by NBC News," the company said in a statement in November. "We have pledged that when the transaction is concluded, Comcast will abide by the same policies for NBC's news and public affairs programming that have been in place since GE acquired the company in 1986. Comcast is committed to the independence of NBC's news operations."

MSNBC had to shuffle its lineup in the wake of Olbermann's exit, a move made easier by the emergence of Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell as anchors whose shows on some nights draw more viewers than Olbermann's program Countdown.

On Monday, The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell will move from 10 p.m. to 8 p.m., with The Ed Show will move from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Countdown had been airing at 8-9 p.m. The Rachel Maddow Show remains at 9 p.m. O'Donnell will repeat at 11 p.m., replacing an Olbermann rebroadcast, and Cenk Uygur, MSNBC contributor and host of Web show "The Young Turks," will fill in as host of the 6 p.m. hour.

Olbermann helped MSNBC build viewership by taking on President George W. Bush and Fox News, attacking both with features such as "Worst Person In the World." He particularly went after Fox host Bill O'Reilly. The tension between the two hosts required high-level intervention from executives at both GE and Fox News parent News Corp.

Olbermann also created enemies inside and he was close to being fired a few times in addition to the campaign contribution issue in November. In his farewell broadcast, he thanked a large number of people, but did not include either NBC News President Steve Capus or MSNBC boss Phil Griffin.

Of Olbermann's departure, Adam Green of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee said, "Keith Olbermann did real journalism and spoke truth to power during the Bush years when most reporters fell down on the job. For that, he is a hero to many Americans -- including the 300,000 people who signed our BoldProgressives.org petition to put Keith back on the air last November."  Olbermann had donated to two candidates endorsed by Green's PAC.  

"A lot of people are trying to figure out if this was truly voluntary or not, with some noting that the Comcast-NBC merger was approved by President Obama's FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski just this week," Green added. "We'll see what develops. But regardless, Keith: Good night and good luck."  
Talkback
Related Content

No related content found.

Also by Jon Lafayette

Most Popular Pages
    No Top Articles
Newbay Business Information Resource Center

Featured Company


Most Recent Resources

Advertisement
More Content
  • Blogs
  • Photos
  • Podcasts

Paige Albiniak

Fates & Fortunes

Paige Albiniak
January 21, 2011
Bromstad exits NBC to make way for Greenblatt
Last night the news broke that Angela Bromstad would be departing her post as NBC...
More

Michael Malone

Station to Station

Michael Malone
January 21, 2011
Huff: Chuck the Yuks in 10P News
NY Daily News TV scribe Richard Huff blasts Fox-owned WNYW and Tribune’s...
More

TCA_CW.jpg

Schmooze Picture Gallery: Jan. 24, 2010

View photos from recent industry events, including the Television Critics Association winter press tour and the Golden Globe Awards...
AbramsReilly

Schmooze Picture Gallery: Jan. 17, 2010

View photos from the Television Critics Association winter press tour held Jan. 5-15 at the Langham Huntington in Pasadena, Calif.
CapePremiere

Schmooze Picture Gallery: Jan. 10, 2010

View photos from recent industry events, including NBC's The Cape premiere party and the Television Critics Association winter press tour...



Advertisement
About Us   |   Advertising Info   |   Site Map   |   Contact Us   |   Affiliate Links   |   RSS
© 2013 NewBay Media, LLC. 28 East 28th Street, 12th floor, New York, NY 10016 T (212) 378-0400 F (212) 378-0470
Use of this website is subject to its Terms of Use | Privacy Policy