Stars, panels and the future
By Allison Romano -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/16/2005 7:00:00 PM
From CNN founder Ted Turner to supermodel Tyra Banks, a colorful blend of TV celebrities descend on Las Vegas next week for the National Association of Television Program Executives' 42nd annual gathering. The show, which runs Jan. 25-27, is expecting a 10%-15% larger crowd than last year's 7,000 attendees. Though considerably smaller than its 20,000-person heyday, 2005's growth is thanks, in part, to President Rick Feldman.
He has done it by revitalizing NATPE and broadening its appeal. “The definition of a programming executive has changed,” he says. “People at investment banks, at the William Morris Agency and ICM, at Sprint and Comcast are involved in programming.”
This year, the traditional programming community continues its support. Several large syndicators—including Sony Pictures Television, NBC Universal Television Distribution, Viacom's syndication units, MGM and Carsey-Werner—will anchor the show floor. Top international distributors like Sony, Warner Bros. and MGM will also exhibit. While 80% of exhibitors will have booths, the remaining 20% opt for hotel suites for meeting with clients. Warner Bros. Domestic Television is the biggest name among the suite-holders.
NATPE will also address the evolving syndication business. Because syndication now uses original product on multiple formats, a special seminar on cellphone programming will be offered Jan. 25. A second highlight: small sessions with execs like Lifetime chief Carole Black and CBS Alternative VP Chris Sloan.
“We're thrilled with the response from various industries,” says NATPE Co-Chairman John Weiser, president of distribution at Sony Pictures Television. “2004 was a turnaround for momentum.”
On the floor, attendees may glimpse syndication stars like Banks, host of an upcoming Warner Bros. talk show; The Insider's Pat O'Brien; and Howard Stern sidekick Robin Quivers, who headlines a new Sony talker. Broadcast faces, including the casts of Arrested Development and Scrubs, will also pop up. The comedies are among the broadcast programs being shopped for syndication. NATPE may no longer be a deal-making hub, but it offers an education in TV.
Here are some highlights from the 2005 show's agenda:
Tuesday, Jan. 25
8:45 a.m.: Ted Turner, chairman, Turner Enterprises.
Noon: Maturing Cable Nets Shoot From the Hip: Bonnie Hammer, USA and Sci Fi; Ted Harbert, E! Networks; Steve Koonin, TNT and TBS; Debra Lee, BET; Peter Liguori, FX.
4:30 p.m.: Is Over-the-Air Over?:David Barrett, Hearst-Argyle Television; Deb McDermott, Young Broadcasting; Jim McNamara, Telemundo; Patrick Mullen, Tribune Broadcasting; Dennis Swanson, CBS/Viacom.
Wednesday, Jan. 26
9 a.m.: Michael J. Copps, FCC
10:30 a.m.: Anatomy of a Hit: Two and a Half Men: Chuck Lorre, Peter Roth, Warner Bros. TV; stars Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer.
Noon: The Reality of “Reality”: Tom Gutteridge, Fremantle North America; Stephen Lambert, RDF International; Gregory Lipstone, William Morris; Ben Silverman, Reveille; Bertram van Munster, The Amazing Race; Andrea Wong, ABC.
1:30 p.m.: Business Paradigms for the New Bottom Line: Bill Cella, Magna Global U.S.; Bruce Rosenblum, Warner Bros. TV; Nancy Tellem, CBS Entertainment; Tony Vinciquerra, Fox Networks Group; Jim Wiatt, William Morris.
Thursday, Jan. 27
8 a.m.: David Janollari, The WB; Bob Greenblatt, Showtime.
Noon: Future Speak X 3: Jon Miller, AOL; Ian Shepard, Sky Interactive; Tom Wolzein, Sanford C. Bernstein & Co.
No related content found.
No Top Articles
Digital Rapids provides market-leading software and hardware solutions, technology and expertise for transforming live and on-demand video to reach wider audiences on the latest viewing platforms more efficiently, more effectively and more profitably. Empowering applications from..more