HBO Cancels John From Cincinnati
HBO cancels surfing series, looks to extend Milch deal.
by Anne Becker -- Broadcasting & Cable, 8/14/2007 4:55:00 AM
HBO has cancelled John From Cincinnati after one season. The surfing drama has underperformed since its June 10 premiere. That episode drew 3.42 million, but original premieres of the show only averaged just about 1.5 million.
The network said it plans to extend its development deal with the show's co-creator David Milch. The deal currently runs through Aug., 2008. Milch is said to be working on more than one project for the network, although executives have not yet said whether those include long-talked-about Deadwood movies based on the other series he created for HBO.
HBO is said to be close to deciding whether to renew its other new summer series Flight of the Conchords. That show premiered to 1.2 million total viewers June 17 and premiere episodes through July 29 averaged 950,000.
Last week, HBO said it was picking up the Alan Ball vampire series True Blood for 2008.
It took me a few shows to start to really like John from Cincinnati. With nothing else new on TV, it was something good to look foward to. It is however getting old that networks are too quick to hit the cancel button. It smacks in the face of people who invest time in these shows.
Herb Ringersen - 8/16/2007 7:44:00 AM EDT
No related content found.
No Top Articles
Digital Rapids provides market-leading software and hardware solutions, technology and expertise for transforming live and on-demand video to reach wider audiences on the latest viewing platforms more efficiently, more effectively and more profitably. Empowering applications from..more